My view of things...
Current mood:
complacent
So I was on someone's profile today and was reading their view on religion, as I read more of what he had to say I realized that I couldn't agree with him more. Below I am posting what he had written, and the message I sent to him. It clarifies a lot for me about how I've always felt.
complacentHis views:
"I'm an atheist. While I use to be a passive atheist, I find that as time goes on I become for militant in my opinions. This is due to the fact that I see so much hatred from the religious. While I have the opinion that I have the right to believe what I want and you have the right to your beliefs, most on the other side of the aisle don't live by this. Christians try to "change" me all the time. Leave me be. You will not get me to believe in this imaginary guy up in the clouds that controls my destiny. Any educated person that can stand back and look at religion will see that the bible is merely a book. A book of short stories. Believe what you want and live with your delusions, but leave your delusions in your head and don't express them to me. I'm very close minded on this subject. It took a lot of thinking and years for me to come to the belief system I have. And just because I do not believe in God doesn't mean I have no morals as many try to say."
"I'm an atheist. While I use to be a passive atheist, I find that as time goes on I become for militant in my opinions. This is due to the fact that I see so much hatred from the religious. While I have the opinion that I have the right to believe what I want and you have the right to your beliefs, most on the other side of the aisle don't live by this. Christians try to "change" me all the time. Leave me be. You will not get me to believe in this imaginary guy up in the clouds that controls my destiny. Any educated person that can stand back and look at religion will see that the bible is merely a book. A book of short stories. Believe what you want and live with your delusions, but leave your delusions in your head and don't express them to me. I'm very close minded on this subject. It took a lot of thinking and years for me to come to the belief system I have. And just because I do not believe in God doesn't mean I have no morals as many try to say."
My message:
Dear [Anonymous],
I was just reading your view on religion and I couldn't agree with you more. You put into words what I have came to realize for the past few years. I'm still pretty passive on the subject just because I can't stand to be "outed" and argued with because I don't believe in what other people believe in. I am from a very conservative Southern Baptist Christian family and it makes it extremely hard to be my true self because of it. My parents and a few cousins [I have a huge family] know my beliefs, but my grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. know nothing which makes it hard to explain why I have made myself scare at church the past few years. I can't fathom the existence of a higher entity because I just don't see how that could work out and I believe that the bible is just a book written by someone who had beliefs and wanted to spread them to other people. Another thing that turned me off to Christianity was the fact that they are "right" and everyone else is wrong. Wars have been started because of religion, which is just ridiculous, everyone should just be able to get along. I mean I've seen some pretty ugly moments when it comes to differing opinions on baptizing, I mean come on what's the big deal? I feel like saying, "I have my beliefs and you have yours, so lets just agree to disagree." But I wanted to thank you for sharing your point of view on the matter, because I've always tried to explain what I felt but you pretty much summed up all of what I feel into that one paragraph. Sorry if this annoyed you but I just wanted to thank you for opinion, it helped me out.
No comments:
Post a Comment